[ntp:questions] Sure GPS - PPS not working

Chris North chris at invalid.com
Mon Dec 9 18:11:05 UTC 2013

"David Taylor"  wrote in message news:l84ss1$5ct$1 at dont-email.me...

On 09/12/2013 11:30, Chris North wrote:

> David,
>
> I have managed to fix it, and it was a bit unexpected. When I first
> installed the Sure, I used a USB connection and got it working OK. I then
> used a Serial-USB adapter and was pleased to find that it passed DCD and
> that PPS was working. The jitter was rather high, though - about 0.3 mS. I
> bought a 2-port serial PCI card and a serial cable, and immediately had a
> massive improvement in performance. Recently, however, I found that PPS
> had stopped working, as you have seen above.
>
> What I think happened was this: when I plugged in the new card it used the
> standard Windows serial.sys, which I replaced with serialpps.sys. Now this
> card is part of a range of multifunction cards that offer various I/O
> interfaces. At some time Windows Update probably found the manufacturer's
> drivers and installed them (automatically, or as an option that I just
> accepted). The new driver ignores serial.sys and has its own software. So
> I poked around in the registry and changed the ImagePath for one of the
> card's new services to point to serialpps.sys. This seems to have fixed
> it. As I don't use the COMn ports for anything else, I won't worry about
> possible side-effects.

Good news, Chris.  I'm glad that my suggestion of looking at the driver
tree may have helped.  Quite possibly the same "update" issue happened
to me when I went from Windows 8.0 to 8.1, except that it wasn't quite
as obvious as a normal monthly update.  I better try and document that
somewhere - if I haven't already.

--
Cheers,
David

Many thanks for your help, David. Having now sorted out the mess I had made
of my Win 7 COM drivers, I have both 7 and 8.1 working properly.

I'm considering a Raspberry Pi standalone server. But, even after reading
your excellent account, I am not too confident about the Linux stuff. I'll
probably get hold of a Pi for experimenting. Did you get the Sure GPS
working with the Pi?