[ntp:questions] Silly question.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Dec 16 14:37:44 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-16, DaveB <spam.goes at nowhere.com> wrote:

> I've added override variables in /etc/rc.conf to point to both ntpd and
> ntpdate that are located in /usr/local/bin.
>
> I also see there is a companion ntpq in there too, but in
> /etc/default/rc.conf  There is no "default" path set to that program.
>
> For now, I've a commented out line in /etc/rc.conf
> # ntpq_program="/usr/local/bin/ntpq"
>
> Commented out as I don't know if that will work.  (I'm still re-
> educating myself with the neuances of BSD, it's been a while.)

Your shell searches for executables in the directories specified by your
PATH. /usr/local/bin needs to appear in your PATH before /usr/bin if you
want the "ports" versions of commands to override the "system" commands.

Or set up a shell alias.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/shells.html

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>