[ntp:questions] Silly question.

DaveB spam.goes at nowhere.com
Tue Dec 17 11:56:33 UTC 2013

In article <slrnlaujq8.ded.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net>,
kostecke at ntp.org says...

> On 2013-12-16, DaveB <spam.goes at nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm currently stuck, trying to get the system sources, so I can enable
> > PPS support in the kernel.   The old "sysinstall" seems broken, in as
> > much as it cant seem to download anything from anywhere.
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?t=29172 discusses installing
> FreeBSD 9 source.

Hi again Steve.

I'm obviously a total numpty, as either of the methods in that posting
fail.  (And yes, I did change 9.0 to 9.2)  I'm guessing FBSD doenst
associate ftp: with the ftp protocol when fed it on the command line,
unlike some other os's.   (Comes up with command not found.)

Tried ftp, and got the ftp prompt (ftp>) but even then asking in several
ways, all I get is "Not connected".

If I try to connect first (logical) as I don't know the account details,
again, I'm stuffed.

SVN.  Again, sad to say this is another case where I cant get that to
fly either.  I've tried that (and similar for other needs on other OS's
in the past) and never got it to work on any platform.   My total lack
of understanding of what it is and how to use it.

Sorry, but I realy need a fully worked and tested blow by blow example
to do this sort of simple stuff.   Oddly, I can manage kernel compiles
and booting to that just fine, I've done that in the past several times,
but I always had the sources from the outset.

Also, I don't get much contiguious time, so it's poke and hope, fail, go
do something else (such as fixing the leaking toilet that's next on the
list....)

Best Regards.

Confused again.

Dave B.

PS:	If the smart money keeps saying "don't use Sysinstall, it's broken
and depreciated."  Why the *&%$! is it still present in the system?