[ntp:questions] Silly question.

DaveB spam.goes at nowhere.com
Tue Dec 17 14:32:31 UTC 2013

In article <E1VseaP-000JJ1-2i at stenn.ntp.org>, stenn at ntp.org says...

> DaveB writes:
> > I'm currently stuck, trying to get the system sources, so I can enable
> > PPS support in the kernel.   The old "sysinstall" seems broken, in as
> > much as it cant seem to download anything from anywhere.
>
> You might not need this - see if yuo have /boot/kernel/pps.ko, and then
> check out 'man kldstat' and 'man kldload'.

Hi.

Yes, there is pps.ko in that directory, but (I think) not
linked/compiled/loaded.

The only mode of kldstat that comes back with anything sensible, is:-
# /boot/kernel >kldstat -q
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    4 0xc0400000 1205064  kernel
 2    1 0xc3998000 2000     blank_saver.ko
# /boot/kernel >

And yes, the console screensaver (blank) is enabled.

I then looked up kldload as suggested, and did this....

# /boot/kernel >kldload -v ./pps.ko
Loaded ./pps.ko, id=3
# /boot/kernel >kldstat -q
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    7 0xc0400000 1205064  kernel
 2    1 0xc3998000 2000     blank_saver.ko
 3    1 0xc533a000 3000     pps.ko
# /boot/kernel >

So, that's an easier way to enable PPS support then, than recompiling
the kernel.  Yes?

If so, I'll go and read up about doing that at boot time via rc.conf or
loader.conf.

Would that be correct?   If so, which method is preferable?

Best Regards.

Dave B.