[ntp:questions] Silly question.

DaveB spam.g8kbv at uku.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 11:09:05 UTC 2013

In article <E1VtC02-0000Tm-Ux at stenn.ntp.org>, stenn at ntp.org says...

> DaveB writes:
> >
> > I then looked up kldload as suggested, and did this....
> >
> > # /boot/kernel >kldload -v ./pps.ko
> > Loaded ./pps.ko, id=3
> > # /boot/kernel >kldstat -q
> > Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> >  1    7 0xc0400000 1205064  kernel
> >  2    1 0xc3998000 2000     blank_saver.ko
> >  3    1 0xc533a000 3000     pps.ko
> > # /boot/kernel >
> >
> > So, that's an easier way to enable PPS support then, than recompiling
> > the kernel.  Yes?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so, I'll go and read up about doing that at boot time via rc.conf or
> > loader.conf.
> >
> > Would that be correct?   If so, which method is preferable?
>
> I use /boot/loader.conf .

Hmmm...

Just looked in /boot   No loader.conf in there, but there is a loader.rc

\ Loader.rc
\ $FreeBSD: release/9.2.0/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.rc 151874 2005-10-
30 05:41:42Z scottl $
\
\ Includes additional commands
include /boot/loader.4th

\ Reads and processes loader.conf variables
start

\ Tests for password -- executes autoboot first if a password was
defined
check-password

\ Load in the boot menu
include /boot/beastie.4th

\ Start the boot menu
beastie-start

So, do I guess right that loader.conf needs creating?

I don't have the time to investigate at this moment (at the office,
poking the thing via SSH in odd moments, no you can't login at Root, but
you can su after logging in as a user of course..)

Later perhaps.

Regards.

Dave B.