[ntp:questions] NTP server with Garmin GPS 18 LVC

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Dec 21 00:25:29 UTC 2013

On 20/12/13 21:59, Adrian P wrote:

> In the end what is this clock offset? I suppose it is the difference
> between my laptop's internal clock and the precise timing provided by

It's the difference between the measurement of the software clock and
the measurement of the external source.  Normally, in the steady state,
most of the error is in the latter, on Linux and Unix.  On Windows, the
error may be split between both measurements.

The general assumption is that the software clock is more precise than
the offset.

It does not measure the difference between true time and the software clock.