[ntp:questions] NTP Stratum

Tue Feb 5 20:36:13 UTC 2013

I'm certainly not sure what you are trying to accomplish,
 so, take my examples with a grain of salt.

I think if you provide your current (full) .conf
 and your objectives, someone may be able to
 provide you with more accurate information,
 rather than just making wild guesses.

deepak khandelwal wrote:> is floor or ceiling in TOS option, only applicable to many-cast ?

No.

<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html>
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/select.html>

> is orphan mode option also applicable to many-cast only ?

No.

tos cohort 1 orphan 8 ceiling 10

A more complete example might be something like:
#  Start ntpd with -g, the -g will prevent a panic stop if the time needs to be steped when started
# ntp.conf for ALL (Clients and/or Servers)
tos cohort 1 orphan 8 ceiling 10
restrict default limited kod nomodify notrap
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict source nomodify
keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M LAN_MD5_KEY , 321 M Corp_MD5_KEY , ...
trustedkey 123 321
manycastserver  224.0.1.1
manycastclient  224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
broadcastclient
server 192.168.1.10 iburst key 123                   # LAN servers
server 172.16.6.20 iburst key 123
server 10.68.19.30 iburst                            # If you address the server by name append preempt
server tick.corp.example.com key 321 iburst preempt  # Corporate servers
server tock.example.net iburst preempt               # Other servers with permission, following access restrictions
server ntp1.vrlsoftwaresolutions.in iburst preempt   # <http://www.vrlsolutions.com/>
server time.example.net iburst preempt               # <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/RulesOfEngagement>
pool 0.vendor.iburst preempt                         # <http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/vendors.html> (Your vendor zone, OS vendor, ...)
pool in.pool.ntp.org preempt                         # <http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/@> Regional zones