[ntp:questions] Confused about pool rotation

no-one at no-place.org no-one at no-place.org
Wed Feb 6 18:59:08 UTC 2013

I am trying to get to know SNTP by doing some Winsock programming.  In
particular, I am using

getaddrinfo("pool.ntp.org", "123", &hints, &gaires);

where hints has been set up to define a socket type of SOCK_DGRAM and
family of AF_INET.  As expected, the Internet address returned in
*gaires does change from time to time.  But it seems that it often
returns the same value if I call it again after a short time.  But if
I wait a minute or two then I get a different address.  What is the
rotation mechanism and why doesn't it give me a new address every
time?