[ntp:questions] Confused about pool rotation

Wed Feb 6 21:38:17 UTC 2013

no-one at no-place.org wrote:
> Yes, I was just reading about that today.
>  Eventually my use of SNTP will be integrated into a
>   smartphone app and distributed globally.
>  So would I get just one vendor zone for both my iPhone
>   and my Android version of my app?

Yes, as far as I can tell, only one vendor zone is needed
 for all your apps / products,
 which would have 4 query addresses,
 each returning 4 A records from the pool per query.
  0.vendor.pool.ntp.org
  1.vendor.pool.ntp.org
  2.vendor.pool.ntp.org
  3.vendor.pool.ntp.org

BTW, it returns A records for pool servers
 that are geographically close to _your_ DNS server.
  {Whatever DNS server the phone platform uses
    that your app runs on.}

> Also is there any recommended way for me to avoid
>   stressing the servers during my development phase?
>  I don't want my computer to get blacklisted for abusing
>   the servers while I am testing things.

Don't query servers more often than once a minute?

 {Actually NTPd uses log2 sec,
   so it polls no more often than 2^6 = 64 sec = 1.07min;
    then NTPd gradually increases the poll rate up to
     2^10 = 1024 sec = 17.07 min},
      as the clock discipline stabilizes.}

  will be added to the BlackLists.