[ntp:questions] Confused about pool rotation

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Thu Feb 7 07:17:01 UTC 2013

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
>   Cell towers are already synchronized with stratum one
>    servers and / or GPS,  and usually contain stable oscillators
>     e.g. rubidium, cesium, ...

Most (GSM/3G/4G) cell towers make do with OCXOs/TCXOs, but very good
ones, rated at a few ppb/day in drift rate.

I.e. pretty much perfect compared to what NTP usually has to work with.

>    Cell towers can't do seamless handoffs for moving cell phones
>     to adjacent towers without close synchronization.

The interesting part here is that the actual requirement is for
_frequency_ synchronization, not absolute time sync!

Better FLL corresponds directly with better hand-off performance at
speed: Driving at highways speeds require something like 50 ppb afair (I
was the chief architect for a national cell phone network for a couple
of years), a bullet train requires 20 ppb in order to handle the Doppler
effects.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>