[ntp:questions] PPS only configuration

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Feb 21 18:08:10 UTC 2013

On 2/21/2013 8:52 AM, Brian Utterback wrote:
> Having said that, I note that Ed Mischanko's mailer is not sending
> text/plain flowed. So unruh has a point in that case.
>
> On 2/21/2013 8:38 AM, Brian Utterback wrote:
>> Hate to get into a religious war here, but there is a hard, factual
>> standard here. RFC2646 which defines the MIME type text/plain format
>> parameter.

RFC2646 isn't a standard. It's an RFC, just like RFC1149. The standard
is STD11 (from RFC822). It places no restriction on the length of lines
in the body. The planned replacement (draft standard) is RFC5322, which
is quite clear that an MUA which can't handle long lines is
"non-conformant."

"2.1.1.  Line Length Limits

    There are two limits that this specification places on the number of
    characters in a line.  Each line of characters MUST be no more than
    998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
    the CRLF.

    The 998 character limit is due to limitations in many implementations
    that send, receive, or store IMF messages which simply cannot handle
    more than 998 characters on a line.  Receiving implementations would
    do well to handle an arbitrarily large number of characters in a line
    for robustness sake.  However, there are so many implementations that
    (in compliance with the transport requirements of [RFC5321]) do not
    accept messages containing more than 1000 characters including the CR
    and LF per line, it is important for implementations not to create
    such messages.

    The more conservative 78 character recommendation is to accommodate
    the many implementations of user interfaces that display these
    messages which may truncate, or disastrously wrap, the display of
    more than 78 characters per line, in spite of the fact that such
    implementations are non-conformant to the intent of this
    specification (and that of [RFC5321] if they actually cause
    information to be lost)."