[ntp:questions] PPS only configuration

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Feb 26 17:38:46 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-26, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I think that many hardware terminals e.g. VT100 or VT320 do not handle
>> long lines well.
>>
>> I can't see any reason why anyone would need to send more than 132
>> characters in one line of text!
>>
>> You may have noted that books, magazines and newspapers limit their line
>> lengths.
>>
>> There are sound reasons for that!  So PLEASE take your nine hundred
>> character line and break it up!
>
> The advantage of leaving the wrapping to the receiver is that everyone
> can define their own line length and wrap the text into that space using
> the algorithm they like best.

The advantage of breaking up your text into readable line lengths is
that you are far less likely to piss off people who might be able to help
you solve your problem. Those whose reader formats long lines nicely
might be very slightly annoyed that the text does not conform to their
preference of 170 charcters in length, but will not find the text less
readable for all that. Those, whose reader does not properly flow lines,
will appreciate the effort and have one less thing get in the way of
their thinking about the content, rather than the form. Sounds like
win-win to me.
Of course if your purpose in posting is to take a stand
for individual liberty to do as you like, and you do not care if anyone
reads or thinks about your post, then you can do as you like.  However,
most posters do not fall into this category, and are, in fact, chagrined
to discover that their mailing procedure does get in the way of their
post's content being thought about.