[ntp:questions] no servers, synchronized, time reset

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Feb 26 17:46:59 UTC 2013

On 26/02/2013 17:01, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
[]
> I have replaced ntpd, ntpdate, ntpq, and tickadj on my client with a
> build I just performed of ntp-dev-4.2.7p357. I configured this build
> with the following options:
>      --enable-accurate-adjtime
>      --enable-simulator
>      --enable-step-slew
>      --enable-ntpdate-step
>      --enable-hourly-todr-sync
>
> I hope these seem reasonable.
>
> I'm hoping to have a look at the simulator and perhaps give that a whirl.
>
> I couldn't help notice that this build produced an ntpdate program; I
> thought ntpdate was deprecated for "ntpd -q"?
>
> Best regards,
>      Trevor

Trevor, I'm afraid I have very little knowledge of UNIX-like OSes, and I
don't use ntpdate at all - I've never needed it except as a diagnostic
tool against remote servers.  Equally, I can't comment on the build
options, but I'm sure others will.

Bill's (unruh) point about the multiple time resets is pertinent - they
simply shouldn't be happening.  It suggests that something else might be
trying to set the time (were you running Windows).
--
Cheers,
David