[ntp:questions] New years glitch?

Thu Jan 3 21:42:03 UTC 2013

s.schaefer.at.acm at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm using [0123].ntp.pool.org with my two internet accessing NTP servers.
>  I missed the ball drop on new years because I was trying to figure
>   out why Nagios was complaining about my NTP servers dropping the
>   two internet accessing daemons and prefering each other,
>   resulting in higher and higher strata numbers.
> My first reaction was to restart all these non-internet accessing
>  daemons, assuming they'd reset to the two internet-accessing daemons,
>  then honor the low stratum numbers and be sane.
>
> Then I noticed my two internet accessing daemons were reporting that
>  they were within milliseconds of their internet peers (multiple
>  cnames sending them to a non-overlapping set of real servers),
>  BUT almost exactly one second different from each other.
>   I first noticed this at a little after midnight,
>  but it went away by about 00:40 - I don't have status logs to
>  say exactly when.

I think there are some really old flavors of NTP in the pool?
 and different flavors of NTP behave differently.
 {Not to mention how their kernels may behave with leap seconds.}

 <http://doc.ntp.org/cgi-bin/htsearch?words=%22Leap+Second+Processing%22>
 <http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/leap.html>

 Some  (many? most?) of the related issues have been dealt with in
  more recent versions of NTP <http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ChangeLog-dev>
 <bugs.ntp.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__all__&content=Leap Second&query_format=specific&order=bug_id DESC>

  e.g. 4.2.6 requires a majority of survivors have the leap bit set to propagate
   <http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6p5/ntpd.html#leap>

  Using the NIST Leap Second File, (NTP Versions before 4.2.6), (and newer)
   <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringNTP#Section_6.14.>

The discussion has come up before in the last few months:

Ignore leap second announcement on NTP
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/browse_thread/thread/02be5af473503c73/adf5ec086cba0382#adf5ec086cba0382>

leap second status/action items for Sept 1
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/browse_thread/thread/7da4036711b73e53/f431eefeba1ba921#f431eefeba1ba921>

Leap-second flag not forwarded to NTP clients
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/browse_thread/thread/9e92de61118f3923/77b272f2d0dd41bc#77b272f2d0dd41bc>

WARNING: someone's faking a leap second tonight
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/browse_thread/thread/be15651f810db094/b8ba27e371a9f2c4#b8ba27e371a9f2c4>

Leap second preparedness
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/browse_thread/thread/e56efa0716736a5a/67fadfd8ed01f434#67fadfd8ed01f434>

How to insert a leap second with ntpq