[ntp:questions] FLL instability

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Jan 6 09:49:03 UTC 2013

On 06/01/2013 08:45, Mischanko, Edward T wrote:
[]
> This was recommended to me on this list several months ago.  I am running my windows client on a corporate LAN and it was suggested that the PLL would not correct fast enough at polling intervals over 128 seconds.  The problem I am seeing is that when FLL is implemented the frequency swings excessively and the offset does not train toward zero.  This would not be needed for setups using GPS/PPS reference clocks.
>
> Regards,
> Ed

Thanks for that clarification, Ed.  It was not a general recommendation,
so that's understood.

For Windows in a LAN environment I would recommend setting simply
maxpoll to 7 if higher values cause problems.  For a corporate LAN I
would hope that loading either of the LAN or the internal NTP servers
would not be an issue.  There are good internal servers, I trust?
--
Cheers,
David