[ntp:questions] how to configure ntp for conditional use of servers, depending on my LAN status?

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Thu Jan 10 13:24:02 UTC 2013

You don't need to have the info in config 1, there is no point. If you
are not on a network then ntp doesn't have any clients and you don't
want it changing the clock.

The cleanest way to do the other two is to have two separate config
files and restart ntpd with the correct config file depending on the
network topology at the time.

However, you could just configure all the servers. The ntpd process will
try to resolve the server names and will continue trying to do so
periodically until it succeeds. It will then try to send packets
periodically until it succeeds. So, when you are not on the right
network the packets will just not get there.