[ntp:questions] PPS only configuration

Tue Jan 15 22:01:37 UTC 2013

Edward T. Mischanko wrote:
> How do I configure NTPD so that only the PPS offset is
>  used to figure the clock offset, instead of factoring
>  in the surviving back-up servers that have bigger offsets?
> I only want the back-up servers to come into play
>  when, or if, the PPS fails.
> server 127.127.20.0 mode 18 minpoll 3 prefer
> fudge 127.127.20.0 time2 0.374000
> server 127.127.22.0 minpoll 3
> fudge 127.127.22.0 flag2 0 flag3 1
> server 192.168.1.254 iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server tick.cerias.purdue.edu iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server tock.cerias.purdue.edu iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server tack.cerias.purdue.edu iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server nist1-chi.ustiming.org iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server nist.expertsmi.com iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server nist.netservicesgroup.com iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server ntp.your.org iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server navobs1.wustl.edu iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server utcnist2.colorado.edu iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server ntp1.conectiv.com iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
> server east-pool.ustiming.org iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6

That seems like excessive stratum ones (except maybe for testing),
 and its unnecessary to lock the minpoll / maxpoll so low,
  let ntpd decide how often to poll the offsite servers;
   {I can see someone maybe calling your usage perhaps abusive.}

 If you are providing a stratum one to _many_ ntp clients,
  perhaps pick one, stratum one close to you, and the pool?
 ... prefer your refclocks
 server 192.168.1.254 iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
 pool us.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt
 server time.slackadelic.com iburst
 server tack.cerias.purdue.edu iburst # or Perhaps
 # Follow the general <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/RestrictedAccess> restricted access constraints
 #  as well as their specific <http://ntp.cerias.purdue.edu/>  restricted access constraints

  will be added to the BlackLists.