[ntp:questions] Windows-8/64 kernel-mode PPS not producing expected jitter improvement

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jan 21 06:57:01 UTC 2013

On 20/01/2013 20:54, Mischanko, Edward T wrote:
> David,
>
> Jitter of .008 seems pretty good to me?
> That's better than my FreeBSD box gets with PPS.
> I realize that .000 would be preferable.  ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Ed

My Intel Atom FreeBSD box routinely gets about 2.6 microseconds averaged
jitter, that's a D410PT board (1.66 GHz, 1 core, 2 threads).

But it's not the absolute value which caused my question - it was that
changing from user-mode to kernel-mode time stamping /should/ produce an
improvement, and yet it appears not to.  Hence the question: "Is it
working?".

And at the back of my mind: How well can windows-8 ultimately do, with
its more precise system time API?
--
Cheers,
David