[ntp:questions] Using NTP to calibrate sound app

no-one at no-place.org no-one at no-place.org
Mon Jan 28 17:31:40 UTC 2013

On 28 Jan 2013 17:18:27 GMT, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:

>WiFi has the same problem on a slightly smaller scale.
>With WiFi the pingtime jitters by 50 ms or so.

OK, but if I understand this time protocol properly, the time-stamp is
adjusted by me (the client) by half the round trip time.  So what
really counts is not so much the jitter in the round-trip ping time
but the jitter in the symmetry (or lack of it) between request transit
time and response transit time.  Assuming the worst case asymmetry
between these two times we are back to the jitter you mentioned.  But
do people really assume the worst-case asymmetry?