[ntp:questions] Using NTP to calibrate sound app

Jeroen Mostert jmostert at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 29 20:59:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-29 21:04, unruh wrote:
> On 2013-01-28, Jeroen Mostert<jmostert at xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>> On 2013-01-28 23:04, unruh wrote:
<snip>
>>> And who "should you still like to able to tell that you didn't"? A piano
>>> tuner is there to make the piano sound good, not to engage in
>>> unwarrented mathematical games.
>>>
>> Well, then, why measure at all? As long as it sounds good.
>
> And many great tuner do exactly that and have a very large disdain for
> tuners that rely on instruments.
>

>> Surely to make it sound *as good as possible*, you need to be able to accurately
>> measure how close you got to your goal. If you are able to tune a piano to
>
> But the goal is not "measureable" by a simple thing like a frequency
> tuner.

This I don't get. If you want a note to have a base frequency that's as close to
440 Hz as possible, you're saying that's not measurable? Or you're saying that
that's a silly goal? I thought the whole idea of tuning was to make sure the
instrument produces notes with frequencies as close as possible to the
temperament you're using, but I could be mistaken.

I'm sure having more than one string complicates matters a bit, but even so it
seems an objective measure is possible. If the instrument has to play with
others I shouldn't think that 445 Hz is acceptable because you think it sounds
better.

--
J.