[ntp:questions] Another invalid leap second

Wed Jul 3 00:59:19 UTC 2013

Chris Adams wrote:
> I have a Linux (Fedora 18) system running ntp-4.2.6p5-8.fc18.x86_64.  I
> have a GPS receiver connected (old Trimble SVeeSix in TSIP mode).  I
> have some pool servers plus my ISPs servers configured.  After some
> discussion on a mailing list, I checked, and I got a leap second Sunday.
> I see this in my log (my local time is CDT, UTC-0500):
> Jun 30 03:04:40 disk ntpd[1150]: 0.0.0.0 412a 0a leap_disarmed
> Jun 30 18:59:59 disk kernel: [2575160.498722] Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC
> Where did the leap second come from?

Either a file on your PC, or updtream ntp servers you use?

 Probably some Linux machine running a ancient version of NTP
  for no _good_ reason, as they so often do.

   I love policies that won't let you run the current version,
    that has hundreds (thousands ?) more bugs fixed over the last decade,
    than the version that is in a distro,
    and policy won't let it be replaced, removed, or fixed.

     {Tough cookies to IT fossils that can't adapt.}

I see Fedora 18 is using ntp 4.2.6p5 which is the current stable (2011Dec)

<http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2013-July/subject.html#start>

A bogus leap second happened last year too,
 supposedly less were guilty this year.
<http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/time/leaps/>

2013Jun30 was the next time slot to add one if it was needed,
 however none was officially added.

<http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/earth-orientation/leap-second-announcement>
<Block Quote> Leap Second Announcement
Important Announcement
No leap second will be introduced at the end of June 2013.
The last leap second was positive and was introduced in UTC at the end of June 2012.
IERS Bulletin C (Current Leap Second Announcement)
</ Block Quote>

The most recent file, can be found at:
<ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/>
<ftp://tycho.usno.navy.mil/pub/ntp/>