[ntp:questions] NTP makes a time jump

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Jul 6 23:46:27 UTC 2013

On 04/07/13 12:42, karpekin at gmail.com wrote:

[Excessively long line repaired. ]

> System comes up and after a while syncs to itself. After it starts
+ to provide my "fake" time reference (+3sec) to clients downstream, I plug

It only serves the bogus time because you used this line:

 > server 127.127.1.0

If your RTC is so bad that it drifts by three seconds when the system is
down for a short time, you definitely should not be configuring it to
serve a time even when it has no valid source.

+ in the uplink, so my client is able to see the 3 servers defined in the
+ config above. And as soon as it established the connection and peered to
+ one of them, I see the -3 sec time jump. I was expecting that NTPD will
+ slowly start to correct the time, but it jumps.