[ntp:questions] help for Ntp architecture

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jul 9 22:24:52 UTC 2013

Hi--

On Jul 9, 2013, at 4:01 PM, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> On 09/07/13 19:09, Charles Swiger wrote:
>>
>> You might (and probably should) configure your stratum-1 servers to be peers
>> of each other.  That way, they will continue to keep good time even if their
>> reference clock goes away, and they will provide time to your clients as
>> stratum-2 rather than stratum-12.
>
> I'm not convinced peers work this way.

You're welcome to experiment and discover what happens for yourself, then.

In one case, I have a set of 4 stratum-2s all peered together, each using distinct
preferred stratum-1s for diversity.  When one of the stratum-1's went out, my
server promptly switched itself to syncing from one of the peers and
started vending time as stratum-3 instead.  (Well, relatively promptly.)

Regards,
--
-Chuck