[ntp:questions] Accuracy of audio tones via VOIP

Wed Jul 10 03:11:27 UTC 2013

Robert Scott wrote:
> I am not interested in time.  I am talking about frequency.

Then you might be asking the wrong newsgroup?

>  If you call 1-303-499-7111 you will hear the audio that is
>    transmitted on WWV, which includes 500 Hz and 600 Hz tones.
>   As transmitted these tones are as accurate as NIST can
>    make them.
>  But as received they might appear at a different frequency.

I you are as concerned as you seem to be, why not measure it?,

 Do a FFT analysis, look for frequency shift, harmonics, ... ?

 Try to sync it up with your a frequency generator at your end,
  and compare the two, watching for phase shift, ... ?

  will be added to the BlackLists.