[ntp:questions] NTP makes a time jump

Wed Jul 10 03:36:15 UTC 2013

unruh wrote:
> That was the model he had.
> A server which all of the clients were supposed to stay
>  within 50ms of, no matter whether or not that server was
>  connected to a time source or not, and no matter if,
>  after a long disconnect, that server then reconnected to
>  a source and found itself 3 min out.  It was for him of
>  paramount importance that all clients and server be
>  withing 50 ms of each other. Whether they showed true
>  time was much less important.
>
> Of course if his interest had been in each keeping the
>  best time, the rest of the clients be damned, then this
>  is not a good procedure.

> Note that I would not advise him to put his network of
>  servers and clients into the pool for others to use as
>  a time source.

I think if his server were to run off into the weeds,
 the pool service would decrease his server's score
 every poll, and eventually remove it from the pool,
 when his servers score got below 10.

 In addition, clients using multiple servers would
  eventually change his server to outlyer, then reject,
  as the poll results showed a growing offset as his
  server drifted away.

 If he supplied multiple servers, from separate multitier
  sources, that eventually all traced back to the single
  server that was drifting into the weeds, it would be
  more likely that someone could get e.g. four of his
  servers with different RefID IPs, and not many other
  servers (pool or otherwise), and then those unlucky
  clients would drift away with his servers, until the
  dispersion of his servers got too high, and the clients
  rejected his servers and went for more servers from the pool.

  will be added to the BlackLists.