[ntp:questions] help for Ntp architecture

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Jul 10 10:16:46 UTC 2013

David Woolley writes:
> On 09/07/13 23:54, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > David Woolley writes:
> >>
> >> I'm not convinced peers work this way.
> >
> > Based on what was described, I would expect an S1 box with an attached
> > refclock that peers with other S1 boxes would become an S2 if its
> > attached refclock would go away.
> >
> > But perhaps I'm missing something.
> >
> But what happens when all of the S1 boxes lose their reference clocks?

Then without another master they will all slowly degrade.  In the old
days this would be a local refclock, hopefully set up as we describe in
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringLocalRefclocks but
the better solution now is clearly orphan mode, as described at
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/OrphanMode .

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>