[ntp:questions] Support of Trimble GPS

Hans Jørgen Jakobsen hjj at wheel.dk
Wed Jul 24 12:56:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:53:12 GMT, Igor Pavlov wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is any of Trimble GPS devices (with TSIP) supported now?
> I tryed to use "Generic reference driver" (
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver8.html)
> In it's description there is one Trimble GPS device (mode 10).
> But I couldn't make it work.
>
> I started to debug code of ntpd and its corresponding driver
> (refclock_parse.c) and found some parts of code not working.
> For example WriteFile() using non-overlapped mode when serial-port file was
> opened in overlapped mode, so it causes error. For reading serial port is
> opening in such way that data from it never appears in handler functions.
>
> Now I am trying to fix these errors, but I want to know what is the chance
> of this driver to work at current time.

Don't know.
Have you verified that you can talk with the device?
There could be wrong baud rate or wrong protocol tsip/nmea?

I am using driver 43 (ripencc) with some Trimble Acutime 2000.
It allows to hook more than one computer to one GPS. (with some caveats)

Otherwise driver 29 (palisade) seems dedicated to multiple Trimble products.

/hjj