[ntp:questions] stepout value

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Jul 25 21:26:38 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-25, Orna Sumszyk <orna.sumszyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2013-07-24, Orna Sumszyk <orna.sumszyk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Thank you but i'm running on RHEL 5 and there is no file with that name
>> > there...
>>
>> It is in the source code, not the stuff that redhat installs as ntpd.
>>
>> Also, you did not answer his question "Where did you see this?"
>>

> I saw this on many internet sites.
> For example see http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.1/debug.htm:
> "...if the counter is greater than the stepout interval, which defaults to
> 900 s..."

from 4.2.6p5 source code
./ntpd/ntp_loopfilter.c:#define CLOCK_MINSTEP   900.    /* default stepout threshold (s) */

You can change this with either the -x or the tinker options.

What it means is that if the system finds that the time offset is larger
than 128 ms for more than 900 sec, then the system steps the clock.