[ntp:questions] Thunderbolt at NTP ref clock.

Tue Jul 30 18:00:09 UTC 2013

Dave Baxter wrote:
> In reference to my other thread.
> "THunderbolt monitor/control on Win7 ?"
> Well, as that device seems happy in it's potential new home.
> I've been poking about the interweb looking for info as to getting the
> TB used as a reference clock for NTP.
> I found this page:-
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver29.html
> That on the face of it, seems to tell me what I need.
> So, poking arround (no changes yet) my ntp.conf file, I "think" I need
> this:-
>
> # Trimble Thunderbolt on /dev/gps1 (first serial port)
> server 127.127.29.1 mode 2  minpoll 4 maxpoll 4   prefer
> fudge  127.127.29.1 time1 0.020

You may have to do tests with the driver set to noselect
 to get that time right.

> fudge  127.127.29.1 flag2 1  refid GPS
> server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst minpoll 5 maxpoll 12
> server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst minpoll 5 maxpoll 12
> server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst minpoll 5 maxpoll 12

I'd change those last three to something like:
 restrict source nomodify
 pool uk.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 pool europe.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 pool pool.ntp.org iburst preempt maxpoll 12

that way ntpd will go get new pool servers to try if one/some
 of the ones it currently are using appear to have issues.

_If_ you are going to add your server in the ntp pool
 you should add a couple local (to you) S1 &/or S2 servers,
 that are not in the pool;
  Pick _2_ or _3_ with _different_ network paths to/from you.

 tos cohort 1
 server weta.pwns.ms iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server tick.myodn.ch iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server ntp3.tcpd.net iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server weevil.pwns.ms iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server chronos.csr.net iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server ntppub.le.ac.uk iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server ntp2c.mcc.ac.uk iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server ntp1.luns.net.uk iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server ntp.dropfuse.com iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server uk.ntp.f-box.org iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server ntp.pinklemon.net iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server ntp.cis.strath.ac.uk iburst preempt maxpoll 12
 server ntp0.borg-collective.org.uk iburst preempt maxpoll 12

> Would this be suitable for general purpose local time sourcing?  With
> fallback to the pool if the TB burps, dies or is otherwise compromised.

Sure

> Could all the fudge factors go on one line?
> If so, in what (if any) order?

Doesn't matter AFAIK.

> ntpq -crv reports (among other things)...
> version="ntpd 4.2.4p5-a (1)"
> Recommendations, brickbats etc?

4.2.7 &/or 4.2.8 when it comes out?
<http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html>

If you are going to have a bunch on LAN machines
 synced to your server you might think about adding
 the following to both your S1 NTP server,
 and all other NTP servers and NTP clients on your LAN.

 keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M LAN_MD5_KEY , 321 M Corp_MD5_KEY , ...
 trustedkey 123 321
 tos cohort 1 orphan 10
 restrict source nomodify
 manycastserver  224.0.1.1
 manycastclient  224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
 multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
 broadcastclient

  will be added to the BlackLists.