[ntp:questions] ntpq -p command query

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jul 30 19:15:42 UTC 2013

On 30/07/2013 15:24, Biswajit Panigrahi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have configured the ntp server and ntp client on two machine.
>
> Both are communicating properly. I would like to test when the
> connectivity between those two goes down, after how much time the
> "reach" option in ntpq -p command becomes zero.
>
> For that I stopped the ntp server  and I executed the ntpq -p in
> client's  console,
>
> The reach option will still  keep on increase to 377 then gradually
> decreases to zero. The time duration to come to zero is almost 20
> minute.
>
> Can we reduce the time gap ?
[]
> Regards,
>
> Biswajit

Biswajit,

Look for a value not equal to 377, rather than 0.  Possibly 376 would be
the first indication of a problem.

20 minutes (actually 1024 seconds) is the polling interval which will be
reached in a stable default configuration, so as others have said,
reduce the value of maxpoll for servers which are local to your network
(i.e. not public servers).  On my own network, I typically have maxpoll
set to 5 for local servers, and minpoll set to 10 for Internet servers.
--
Cheers,
David