[ntp:questions] step and stepout

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sat Jun 29 06:05:18 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-28, Orna Sumszyk <orna.sumszyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I write in my ntp.conf file:
> tinker step 0.01 stepout 1
>
> David Woolley replied that it seems I do not want an accurate time but a
> low offset...
> Not really, but I may misunderstand something in the NTP concept...
>
> I only have one NTP server and it is a stratum 0 server in a private
> network.
> I really need to be less than 10 msec from server time, and if I am above,
> I prefer stepping to the time server to immediately adjust my time than
> slewing and waiting until I get to the server time.
> Do I have something wrong in my NTP understanding?

Yes.
Let ntpd do what it does. If you are having trouble with your system
being within 10ms, find out why, do not try to bugger up ntpd. ntpd will
take a while (hours) to settle down but after that it should certainly
track better than 10ms. Some possibilities if not-- you are using
carrier pidgeons rather than ethernet to exchange packets (or your
ethernet is seriously deficient).
You are trying to keep virtual machines on time
You are using Windows.