[ntp:questions] questions] ntpd locks-up on FreeBSD 8.3

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Mar 1 22:54:13 UTC 2013

"Edward T. Mischanko" writes:
> Yes, I understood it means do not fork, but
> what does do not fork mean and why don't I want that option?

By default, ntpd forks at startup and the forked process runs the
operating NTP process and the original "parent" process exits.

This is done specifically so that one can run 'ntpd' to behave as
described, which does not block the boot process.

If -n is supplied ntpd does not fork into the background, so the ntpd
process will theoretically run "forever".