[ntp:questions] questions] ntpd locks-up on FreeBSD 8.3

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Mar 2 00:56:51 UTC 2013

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> "Edward T. Mischanko" writes:

> If -n is supplied ntpd does not fork into the background, so the ntpd
> process will theoretically run "forever".

And the typical reason you would want to this with a daemon is to be
able to run it, easily, under a debugger.

(Incidentally, I described it as detach, as, like most daemons, it
issues a setsid (set session ID) call after the fork, so that it is no
longer associated with any console on which it was being run, and
therefore immune from signals sent from the keyboard on that terminal
(interrupt, ^\, hangup, etc.)