[ntp:questions] help

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Mar 5 18:16:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-04, 1900116857 <1900116857 at qq.com> wrote:

> My OS is Ubuntu12.04amd64

NTP 4.2.6p3 is packaged for Ubuntu "precise":

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/ntp

It is available for installation from the Ubuntu package repositories.

You should be able to see the whether or not the ntp package is
installed using the following command:

$ dpkg -l ntp

You may want to check and see if your system already has the ntp package
provided by your OS installed.

> I dowloaded the NTP4.2.6p5 package and installed it with following commands:
> "configure
> make
> make install"
> Installation seems successful. No error is reported. But there still
> some other question.
>
> First :
> when I typed in "services ntpd start",OS shows "unrecognized service"

The NTP Reference Implementation source code releases, which are linked
from www.ntp.org/downloads.html and support.ntp.org/download, do not
install any initialization scripts as these are OS specific. In general
you are better off installing, and using, ntp from your OS package
management system.

>,but udp port 123 is active.Before this,I tried to run"sudo ntpd",and
>succeeded.

'sudo ntpd' starts the NTP daemon (assuming that it in your search
path). The netstat output you included in your original article shows
that ntpd was running.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>