[ntp:questions] multiple instances of NTP on different interfaces

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Tue Mar 5 19:18:51 UTC 2013

Based on what is being requested, I can suggest one way to accomplish
it, but it involves using an OS feature, rather than using an NTP feature.

If it is feasible to run Oracle Solaris on the system in question, you
could use the Solaris Zones feature to do what you want. You could have
one instance of ntpd running in one zone with one set of interfaces
which controls the system clock and have another instance in a separate
zone configured with the other set of interfaces configured with the
LOCAL refclock only so it never tries to change the clock, but will
instead serve time only. There is an interlock mechanism in the ntpd
configuration on Solaris to prevent ntpd from running in a zone but
there is an override to the interlock if you really want to do it and
you know what you are doing.

Just a thought.