[ntp:questions] multiple instances of NTP on different interfaces

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Tue Mar 5 21:55:48 UTC 2013

Abu Abdullah wrote:
>> option to disable adjusting the system clock?
>> I believe there is, but that instance would become a pure server.  The
>> time that ntpd serves is always that in the local system clock.
>>

> I would appreciate if you can provide it so at least i can get rid of these
> warnings.

Thinking more clearly, you actually have to go out of your way before
ntpd will accept times from anyone.  You just need the local clock
driver prevent the root dispersion tending to infinity.  You might need
to disable the kernel time discipline.

However your warnings are not about conflicts for the local clock.

>> As someone already said, you need explain the overall goal, not the
>> particular step that you think might achieve it.
>

> We have a requirement for NTP service for two different networks: public
> (not important, can have outages), private (important). we are trying to
> have separate process for each network in case high load come from the
> public domain (or for any security issue). We will have more control on the
> public NTP where we can set the resources for it at the OS level. in

ntpd uses very few processor resources, and most of what it uses are
when operating in client or peer mode; as a server it pretty much just
reads the local system clock and bounces the packet back.  If you are
overloaded, it is the network card that will suffer.