[ntp:questions] multiple instances of NTP on different interfaces

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue Mar 5 21:59:22 UTC 2013

David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>

>> I could understand why someone would want to run one instance that
>> controls the clock, and another instance that only serves time to
>> clients on the (inter)net and cannot control the clock.
>
> One would normally simply set suitable access restrictions for un-named
> clients.  I think the defaults are probably adequate.

The point is that it is not important what you (and unruh) think.

Here on the newsgroup the answer to all questions is always "you don't
want to do that" or "this is not possible and that is right".

This usually without considering the situation of the poster in more
detail, and often with information that dates from the distant past.

Today the handling of internet traffic is different from "set access
restrictions in the program".  You need to consider situations where
the program is faulty and does not handle access restrictions correctly,
or external users find other ways of disturbing systems that the
system designer has never thought about.

Denying that is foolish.