[ntp:questions] multiple instances of NTP on different interfaces

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Mar 7 08:08:15 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-07, Abu Abdullah <falcon.sheep at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added
> to the BlackLists <Null at blacklist.anitech-systems.invalid> wrote:
>
>> unruh wrote:
>> > He has gotten himself totally confused about what his
>> >  real job and desires are, it seems to me.
>>
>> Perhaps its something like, he needs to provide ntp to the
>>  pool due to really high vendor zone useage by his appliances?
>>
>> Still sounds like two machines would be better than one.
>>

> Both are important for us. I can conclude from all the responses that there
> is no an out of the box solution for the same. I need to have separate OS
> (or zone).

Well, you are not listening. someone suggested having two versions
running with one having only the local clock as server.
But, you have also said that one of them was a critical internal server
of time. As such, as I have said, it is stupid to have that machine
serving the public for all the reasons you stated as to why you wanted
two separate versions running. All of those reasons are far more cogent
for running separate machines.
And if you do not have the $30 for a raspberry Pi to act as the public
server, then I would advise you to get the internal network up and
running well first, and then go for the public server when you can spare
another machine.