[ntp:questions] Help with Testing NTP servers

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Mar 21 18:11:02 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-20, srinivas v <s4srinivas at hotmail.com> wrote:
> hi ntp-questions,
>
> I am quite new to testing and I am asked to tests time with two different NTP servers
> I would need you help and advice

For what purpose? And it is always better to do three test machines, not
2.

> If there is already someone who has tested it please do let me know
>
> Here is what I have thought of.
>
> 1. Check time with first timeserver
>
> steps:
> 1.Install Operating system (say windows)
> 2.Set incorrect date

Why?

> 3.set ntp server
> 4.Check date is proper now (verify it with google)

That certainly does not test ntpd except at a most primative level.

> check time sync
>
> 2.Check time with 2 NTP servers
>
> steps:
> 1.Set incorrect date
> 2.Set NTP server1
> 3.Change timezone and change date again

ntpd has absolutely nothing to do with timezones. It keeps time in UTC
always.

> 4.Set NTP server 2
> 5.Check time is synced back to normal
>
> any other suggestion / advice / points which I need to consider while I test NTP?

If you told us what you hoped to accomplish with these test, it might be
mroe useful. Note that ntpd has been run and tested on far far more
sophisticated systems than yours, and thus if you are trying to
determine if ntpd works, you are wasting your time. It does. So what is
it that you are trying to test?