[ntp:questions] NIST vs. pool.ntp.org ?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 28 12:32:00 UTC 2013

Hi again Robert,

On 03/28/2013 04:22 AM, Robert Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 02:50:17 GMT, unruh<unruh at invalid.ca>  wrote:
> You really should read my posts before responding.  No, I do not
> intend to hard-code NIST or any other server.  I never said I wanted
> to.  No, the app is not intended for all musicians.  It is intended
> for professional piano tuners only.  I sell about one per day.  And I
> never said the pool would not be good enough for my needs.  I only
> asked about the relative benefits of the pool vs. NIST, which "E-mail
> sent...Blacklists" answered very nicely.

There is no real benefit in using either, rather you should use the mix
of servers which gives you good confidence in removing false-tickers as
well as good precision due to use of short distances.

Look at the NTP code and book, as many of the filtering steps aims at
removing noise which polute the time and frequency errors. Do the to-way
time-transfer.

Cheers,
Magnus