[ntp:questions] NIST vs. pool.ntp.org ?

Rob nomail at example.com
Thu Mar 28 19:00:55 UTC 2013

Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
>> so you will need to write an adaptive
>> algorithm that recognizes what is happening here, and send the queries
>> quickly enough (I would say at least two per second, maybe 4) to force
>> the "active user" algorithm to kick in.
>
> If he sends requests too fast when the latency is so high, isn't there
> a chance they'll just get combined due to Nagle which will throw off
> his calculations even more?

This is UDP, not TCP.

Of course there is not much point in shotgunning requests when there
is no reply.  First attempt could be to send a new request only after
the first reply has been received, but I am not sure this will always
guarantee the radio link goes to active mode.  Maybe send 3 requests
at .25 or .5 second intervals ant then wait until at least one reply
comes back.

With GPRS it sometimes takes several seconds for the first replies to
come back.