[ntp:questions] NIST vs. pool.ntp.org ?

Robert Scott no-one at notreal.invalid
Thu Mar 28 22:38:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 21:21:55 GMT, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
>> so you will need to write an adaptive
>> algorithm that recognizes what is happening here, and send the queries
>> quickly enough (I would say at least two per second, maybe 4) to force
>> the "active user" algorithm to kick in.
>
>Sending at a rate of more than 1 packet every 2 seconds or more than 8
>packets per 64 seconds will trigger KOD responses.

Perhaps these "wake-up" packets could be some other UDP packet, like a
Ping, and not to some time server, but to some other internet address,
like www.microsoft.com (not really!).  If I understand Rob's
suggestion, all that is needed is some kind of activity to wake up the
radio/internet channel, not necessarily NTP activity.

Robert Scott
Hopkins, MN