[ntp:questions] NIST vs. pool.ntp.org ?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Mar 28 23:13:54 UTC 2013

Robert Scott wrote:

> If I could use a packaged implementation of NTP I would.  But I don't
> have that option.  If I understand correctly, packaged implementations
> of NTP are designed specifically for setting the system time.  I

The interface to the OS clock is fairly well abstracted for portability
reasons.  If you forego the kernel time discipline, you should be able
to modify an offset from system time, rather than the system time
itself, although the fact that ntpd really controls frequency may be a
bit of a problem, as you can only really fake offset.