[ntp:questions] Extracting ntpq like information programmatically

Claudio Carbone erupter at libero.it
Thu Mar 28 18:16:21 UTC 2013

Hello.

I'm new to NTP and my needs aren't really rooted in the mechanism of
synchronization and time seeding.

What I intend to do is a kind of ping/traceroute of a networked
architecture where OS level ping and traceroutes do not suffice.

So I'm designing my own little apps to push messages around.
But in order to compare timestamps from different computers I thought it
best to carry NTP offset/jitter/delay values to be able to adjust values
after the measure and obtain a better accuracy.

Now what I want to ask is:
-how can I get this kind of info in my program (is there a library? I
read mentions of libntp but ubuntu has nothing of the sort)
-your comments about my ideas
-a brief explanation of exactly what offset and delay mean and to which
one jitter is related
 From what I read here
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/%7Emills/ntp/html/warp.html> /delay/ seems
like a kind of ping, but then I wouldn't understand its meaning or use
in the NTP system.

Thank you very much.
Best regards

Claudio