[ntp:questions] Extracting ntpq like information programmatically

Claudio Carbone erupter at libero.it
Fri Mar 29 16:28:57 UTC 2013

On 29/03/13 16:59, unruh wrote:
> I have no idea what you want to do-- your description just left me
> confused, but perhaps the above may allow you to decide if the ntp
> protocol might be useful to you.

I have a network of machines with a master server which is the only one
connected to the internet.
This internet connection is not shared by the other machines.
Each machine uses ntpd to sync with the master server.
The master server runs an ntpd to provide time information for the
sub-network, and to sync with the worldwide network.

I assume clocks are synchronized by the NTP daemon.

The machines exchange packets and do work, and I want to meter the
delays in message passing and work execution in varying network load
states.
To do this ideally I should have a single clock, but that is plainly
impossible.
So the next best thing is to use the single machines kernel clocks
corrected with the NTP data.

But to do this I need to periodically save NTP offset and jitter data
(delay seems irrelevant).
> Since almost all of ntp is concerned with what to do with that
> information of the offset and delay once it has been received, almost
> everything in libntp or in ntpd is completely irrelevant to you and is
> just a waste of memory.

This is not clear to me.

BR
Claudio