[ntp:questions] ntpd crashing early in startup (memory corruption?)

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Thu May 9 12:57:10 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-09, Garrett Wollman <wollman at bimajority.org> wrote:
> Has anyone else experienced a problem with ntpd crashing very early in
> startup?  It looks like a memory corruption issue, or at least the
> stack is usually corrupt by the time the core file gets written.
>
> Frustratingly, I cannot reproduce the problem when the "-n" flag is
> given to ntpd.  Setting MALLOC_OPTIONS to "ADJ" also seems to have a
> beneficial effect, although not for long, but enabling ElectricFence
> does not make any difference nor does it report any errors.
>
> The platform here is FreeBSD/amd64 9.1 with both net/ntp (4.2.6p5) and
> net/ntp-devel (4.2.7p364) ports.

Are the results any different when using the GENERIC kernel?  I have
had a similar issue when running a stripped down kernal without any
modules built or loaded.  I never was able to discover the necessary
module that needed to be present for a successful ntp when compiling
the system source without building all of the modules.  I am also
running FreeBSD 9.1 on an amd64 system.

Tom

--
Public Keys: