[ntp:questions] ntpd crashing early in startup (memory corruption?)

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Thu May 9 17:02:00 UTC 2013

In article <svednU9ZJIu7ABbMnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2d at supernews.com>,
Thomas Laus  <lausts at acm.org> wrote:
>Are the results any different when using the GENERIC kernel?

Well, my servers can't actually run GENERIC, for various reasons.  But
the failures I see are not consistent with kernel module issues: what
I get is random SIGBUS and SIGSEGV with evidence of memory corruption,
shortly after ntpd daemonizes.  My next step is to try
to build it in a pristine build environment and see if anything is
different (like maybe configure is glomming on to some external header
that it shouldn't).

What I really don't understand is why it usually doesn't happen when
ntpd is invoked with "-n".

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman    | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wollman at bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program