[ntp:questions] ntp & system without a rtc

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri May 10 15:44:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-10, folkert <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a raspberry pi system. This is a computer without a real time
> clock. So everytime I power it on, it uses starts where it left off
> which might be days earlier. It is connected only very occasionally to
> the internet so syncing to that won't work. It does have, however, a gps
> connected. But as it is switched mostly for less than an hour, ntpd
> won't have the time to adjust the time to what the gps returns to it.

Why not use somthing like this:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/255

ChronoDot - Ultra-precise Real Time Clock - v2.1

The ChronoDot RTC is an extremely accurate real time clock module, based
on the DS3231 temperature compensated RTC (TCXO). It includes a CR2016
battery (not shown, but included in the product) which should last at
least 8 years if the I2C interface is only used while the device has 5V
power available. No external crystal or tuning capacitors are required.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>