[ntp:questions] ntp & system without a rtc

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri May 10 19:53:54 UTC 2013

Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I think you may be out of luck on this one.  If you can run NTPD 24x7
> you can have the correct time 24x7.  If you can't do this, NTPD is a
> poor choice.  The problem is that NTPD needs something like ten hours to
> select a time source and match the time!

NTPD is no speed daemon, and perhaps it is a subjective thing, or a
mis-interpreation on my part, but I notice NTPD declaring sync rather
sooner than 10 hours.  Rather sooner than one hour even (looking at
ntpq -p output).  Now, it may indeed take it a long time to get the
offset (term?) down to some acceptable level, but that depends on
one's definition of acceptable and the initial distance no?

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why." I think more often in terms of
"when," sometimes "where;" always "how much."  - Joubert