[ntp:questions] ntp & system without a rtc

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue May 14 14:57:25 UTC 2013

Brian Utterback <brian.utterback at oracle.com> wrote:
> I just tried it on my system, I get sync in 12 seconds. Now, of course
> getting the frequency correction right will take a lot longer, and it
> may lose sync in the mean time if the frequency is far enough off.

My experience with ntpd is when you are experimenting with the config
file and you stop and start it a few times, it will do bad things.

It will steer the time AWAY from correct, lose sync, jump back to a
somewhat correct time, and probably overshoot the other direction
until it finally locks in again after it is not touched for a longish
time.

This is inconvenient when you are experimenting with server settings,
authentication settings, etc.